Ways to Protect Your Energy
We encounter events every day that have the ability to disrupt our energy. There are things we can consciously do to protect our energy from being so severely impacted:
- Nature- how is it that we always feel better in nature? This is because nature is the ultimate grounder. If you are able to get into nature for a walk or simply to breathe the fresh air or feel the sun on your skin, this can be enough to release stress and shift your mood and energy. If you are able to plant your bare feet in the grass, soil, water, this is even better as the electrons from the earth help to ground your energy and work against free radical damage.
- Shielding your energy- setting the intention to “shield your energy” can help from absorbing others thoughts, feelings or emotions. It sets the premise that the others energy is not yours to take on. Start by facing your palm at your chin and swiping up over your head to the back of your neck and visualizing a shield of protection covering your whole body. Do this three times while repeating “shield up, shield up, shield up”.
- Giving gratitude – start your morning by listing 5 things you are grateful for, this shifts our mindset and starts our day from a place of mindfulness
- Breath-work – taking deep breaths is a way to calm the nervous system and to come back to ourselves
- Guided meditations – simply search for a guided meditation on youtube to help release a specific emotion you are feeling or chakra you want to support. Follow the meditation with your eyes closed and allow yourself to release any tension in the body.
- Salt baths – if you are feeling overwhelmed or energetically out of wack, a bath infused with sea salt can be extremely grounding. As you drain the bath, envision your worries and heavy feelings being released down the drain.
- Boundaries with screen time – media sources can be very disruptive to our energy, especially if what we are consuming is triggering our nervous system. Sometimes we have to parent ourselves in these situations and tell ourselves “ok, it’s time to put the phone down or turn the TV off”. These outlets are often used as a form of distraction and can keep us from tuning into our own inner peace. Try setting boundaries around not being on social media or the TV in the mornings or right before bed, muting or unfollowing accounts that are triggering your nervous system, limiting how much time in a day you have on the screen and taking breaks while leaving your phone in another room. Allow yourself to come back to your own feelings, thoughts, intentions and emotions to preserve your energy.
- Reiki sessions – book an integrative reiki session to be guided through the clearing process. This is extremely helpful if you are new to energy work and don’t know where to start or what it will feel like.
Why is it important to know how to tap into your energy?
Because this is your life force. An excited energy feels very different from an anxious energy. Being able to recognize your own energetic states will allow you to quickly identify triggers and situations that do not benefit you. To live in harmony is to be able to express and connect with each energetic centre in your body and to know when your body is closing off to protect itself. Your awareness to your energy will allow you to become more in-tune with your intuition and gut instincts.
Getting to know your energy on a more intimate level can help to ease uncomfortable feels within, address toxic relationships and environments, instill confidence in yourself, become aware of tension you are holding onto physically and can make decision making easier.
How to Connect to Your Own Life Force Energy
In today’s fast pace society, we are often disconnected from ourselves and our intuition; the little voice or knowing inside us that helps guide us for our greatest good. Here’s a practice to help you get in tune with your body and intuition. Generally speaking, you will be channeling reiki energy to yourself in this practice.
- Find a quiet place to sit or lay. In your head or out loud, set the intention that you are channeling healing energy for your highest good.
- Gently close your eyes and allow yourself to take in 4 deep breaths. Inhaling deeply through the nose and exhaling deeply through the mouth.
- Return to your normal breath.
- Bring your awareness to your hands. Focusing on your hands and what they feel like. You can wiggle your hands gently to help bring your awareness to them.
- Take note of the sensation in your hands. Do they feel hot, cold, tingling, pulsing, numb, vibrating, heavy, light, etc? There is no right or wrong feeling.
- As you become aware of these sensations, simply guide your hands to a place of tension in your body. Maybe your forehead, shoulders, forearms, chest, belly, back or hips feel tense. Place your hands on the area of tension in your body and feel the sensation from your hands transfer to the area of tension.
- Breathe deeply into that space, inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth.
- Now take a mental note of the area that was tense. Do you still feel tension? Has it released, has the sensation changed, do you feel more relax?
- If there are more areas of tension that you can sense in your body you can more your hands to those areas and repeat the practice.
- Close the practice by thanking your body and your hands for channeling and receiving your own healing energy.
- Continue to work with this practice to become aware of how being conscious with your energy can shift your physical symptoms.
- Working with a reiki master or energy practitioner can help guide you deeper into relaxation and connection with your body as you continue on this journey.