It’s challenge time!
For the month of April 2020, I’m encouraging you to join me in the Free LivNourished 30 day Smoothie Challenge. This smoothie challenge is for anyone who wants to create a healthy habit, increase their energy, improve their digestion, reduce their sugar cravings and consume more nutrients to support their body and immune system. To get started simply try incorporating 1 smoothie per day into your diet or replace one of your meals with a green smoothie.
How to Participate
For those that participate in the Smoothie Challenge, there’s a chance at winning a prize at the end!!! The person who shares the most pictures of their smoothie creations on Instagram to the hashtag #LNsmoothiechallenge and tags their friends to join along will receive a prize at the end of the month. Head on over to Instagram for more details and stay tuned for the prize reveal!
I will be sharing my smoothie creations and daily smoothie inspiration over on the LivNourished Instagram account.
Benefits of Smoothies
Smoothies are blended fruit and vegetable drinks which offer increased vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, fiber, protein and healthy fat. All of which are important for stabilizing blood sugar, decreasing sugar cravings and increasing energy. Having a smoothie as your breakfast or mid-day snack can help to ward off those “hangry” feelings. Smoothies can also give your digestive system a bit of a break and the additional fiber can help promote optimal bowel movements.
I find it easiest to make a smoothie for myself upon waking, but you can also pre-portion your smoothie ingredients into bags and freeze for easy blending or blend up your smoothie the night before and refrigerate. Follow the smoothie guide or recipes below if you need some guidance.
- 1 cup vegetables– leafy greens such as spinach, kale, chard; zucchini, cucumber, parsley, cilantro, spirulina, avocado, beets, carrots. Adding green vegetables is an easy way to get more fiber, B vitamins and electrolytes into your diet without consuming lots of sugar.
- 1/2 – 1 cup fruit– cherries, plums, grapefruit, peaches, prunes, nectarines, lemon, green apples, applesauce, pears, apricots, kiwi, pomegranate, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, cranberries, Saskatoon berries, orange, bananas, papaya, mango, pineapple, watermelon, dates
- 1 cup liquid – coconut milk, oat milk, rice milk, almond milk, cashew milk, hemp milk, water, coconut water, herbal tea infusions
- 1-3 tbsp nuts, seeds or nut/seed butter – chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp hearts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, almond butter, tahini, etc.
- 1/4-1 tsp herbs, spices, mushrooms and adaptogens – medicinal mushroom powder (chaga, reishi, cordycepts, loin’s mane, etc.), gelatinized maca root powder, matcha green tea, cacao powder, ginger, cinnamon and cardamom to increase phytonutrients and antioxidants.
- 1/2-1 scoop plant protein powder (optional) – truthfully, I choose to get my protein from whole hemp hearts (3 tbsp = 10g protein + omega 3 fatty acids) or I like to have smoothies that are more like a juice so more green veggies and fruit blended with water instead of high protein, easier to digest.
30 Smoothie Recipes to Get You Started
Outlined below are links to 30 smoothie recipes to inspire you throughout the month. I can’t wait to see what you create and hear how you are feeling!
- LivNourished Vegan Dark Chocolate Cherry Protein Smoothie
- Nutrition in the Kitch Fresh Lemon Ginger Detoxifying Smoothie
- Happy Health Blog Adaptogenic Chocolate Smoothie
- LivNourished Grapefruit Kiwi Lime Smoothie
- The Simple Veganista Best Vegan Chocolate Banana Milkshake
- The Nutritious Kitchen Maca Blueberry Protein Smoothie
- Running to the Kitchen Beet Smoothie
- Simple Green Smoothies Orange Julius Smoothie
- Medical Medium Heavy Metal Detox Smoothie
- Minimalist Baker Cherry Limeade Smoothie
- Nutrition in the Kitch Best Green Spirulina Smoothie
- Running on Real Food Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- The First Mess Winter Glow Green Smoothie
- Joyous Health Golden Smoothie
- Minimalist Baker Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie
- Healthful Pursuit Sexy Lady Smoothie
- Nutrition in the Kitch The C-Spot Smoothie//Immunity Booster
- Vintage Kitchen Vixen Spicy Green Caesar Smoothie or Nourish Deliciously Spicy Green Smoothie
- Hormones & Balance Silky Choco-Hazelnut Smoothie
- Nutrition in the Kitch Vitamix Celery Juice
- LivNourished Banana Cinnamon Green Smoothie
- Simple Green Smoothies Pineapple Smoothie with Kale
- Blender Babes Cookies and Cream Recovery Smoothie
- Pinch of Yum Peach Green Smoothie
- Simple Green Smoothies Anti-Inflammatory Smoothie
- The Nutritious Kitchen Dreamy Creamy Tahini Smoothie
- Simple Green Smoothies Avocado Smoothie as Brain Fuel
- Against All Grain Creamy Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- The First Mess Deep Tropic Vibes Green Smoothie
- Beaming Baker Triple Berry Smoothie