If you believe salads are boring and gross, hold tight, because I am about to prove you wrong. I love traditional, staple salads like Caesar Salad and Greek salad, however sometimes you want to try new vegetables, flavours and need something new to intrigue you into eating more plants. That’s exactly what inspired my Super Harvest Salad. One with lots of colour, leafy greens, roasted veggies, fruit and crunch. Eating a salad is so much more enjoyable when it is flavourful, vibrant and interesting. The Super Harvest Salad was inspired by the fall and winter months and the availability of produce at the time.
This salad is unique because its a blend of fresh greens, roasted Shaved Brussel Sprouts and Roased Yams, fruit and my crunchy Seedy Vegan Bits. The Creamy Balsamic Dressing is also super simple to make a staple to have on hand for other salads. The benefits of eating more plants are endless, from more fibre to more micronutrients:
Nutrients in the Super Harvest Salad:
- Kale is rich in vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, manganese, vitamin B6, potassium, and copper.
- Yams are rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6, thiamine, vitamin A, copper, manganese and phosphorus.
- Pomegranate seeds are rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, copper, thiamin, vitamin B6 and potassium.
- Brussel sprouts are rich in vitamin B6, thiamine, and folate, manganese, vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K.
This salad has raving reviews from both sides of my family (happy dance). When I am asked to bring a dish to a family potluck, I love to bring something unique and it makes me so excited when the guests love it so much they ask for the recipe or want me to bring it to the next event. This has happened on multiple times for this salad. So trust me, and the others, its so freaking good.
Super Harvest Salad
- 4 cups kale de-stemmed, chopped and massaged with 1 tbsp olive oil OR a blend of spinach, arugula and romaine lettuce (whatever you prefer)
- ¼ cup fresh pomegranate seeds (frozen will work as well), can also sub for blueberries
- ¼ cup Easy Shaved Brussel Sprouts https://thewoodenskillet.com/shaved-brussel-sprouts/
- ¼ cup Roasted Yams https://livnourished.com/roasted-yams/
- ¼ cup Seedy Vegan Bits https://livnourished.com/seedy-vegan-bits-nut-free-plant-based-alternative-to-bacon-bits/
- 2 tbsp red onion chopped
- 3 tbsp Creamy Balsamic Dressing https://livnourished.com/creamy-balsamic-dressing-nut-free-vegan/
- 1/4 cup dairy-free cheese (OPTIONAL)
On a sheet pan, season and roast the Brussels sprouts and yams.
While the vegetables are roasting, wash and prepare the rest of the vegetables/fruit and making the Seedy Vegan Bits and Creamy Balsamic Dressing.
Assemble your salad with all of the ingredients and dress with a generous amount of dressing.
Toss and serve fresh!