I’m Not Exaggerating…
Roasted yams are seriously the most delicious and easiest addition to any meal. Almost every week I make roasted yams to pair with our meals……. A) because they are delicious, B) they are simple to meal prep, C) because they add vibrancy to dull foods, D) they are extremely nutrient dense (source of vitamin A, B vitamins, vitamin C, copper, calcium, potassium, iron, manganese and phosphorus).
If you are buying organic yams, simply wash the yams whole and leave the peel on for an extra source of nutrients, however if buying these organic is not an option remove the peels, wash and cube as yams are heavily sprayed to keep from molding. I typically cube the yams toss them in a bit of avocado oil, refined coconut oil or grapeseed oil and bake in the oven until crispy, however if I am using them in baking I will boil them or pressure cook them in the instant pot so they can be mashed.
Here are some of my favourite meals to pair with roasted yams:
- Salads – quinoa, Mexican, greens, cabbage salad
- Roast chicken
- Baked salmon
- Roast veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, corn, red peppers, etc.)
- Served with homemade chipotle aioli
- Mashed to use in baking muffins
- Blend into soups and sauces
- Breakfast hash with veggies, eggs and bacon
The best side dish to any meal. Crispy, roasted, sweet yams!
- 2 cups organic yam, cubed (approximately 1 large yam) (If using organic, just wash and leave the peel on)
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp unrefined salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika or regular paprika
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, toss cubed yams with oil until evenly coated.
Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and paprika. Mix until evenly coated.
Place coated yams on the lined baking sheet. Put into oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn the cubes over and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until browned. NOTE: you do not want to burn, so depending on your oven you may want to pull them out sooner.