Elixirs have become an integral part of my life for the past 5 years. My body cycles through craving warming and cooling drinks. As fall and winter rolls around my body cravings warming elixirs versus cooling smoothies. I honor this transition and can honestly say that I savor every bit of these elixirs as I take a break from them for usually 4-5 months in the summer.
My favorite elixir that I make usually 3-4 times a week has consisted of the same 7 ingredients for the past 5 years. I know this recipe by heart now. It is so rich in chocolatey, earthy notes and has helped me get off of the daily coffee. Limiting my coffee consumption has allowed me to support my adrenal glands, have more sustainable energy levels, reduce my anxiety, be more focused and promote more stability in my blood sugar. I personally love this elixir without any kind of sweetener because of the rich flavors, but also because I do not have any kind of blood sugar crash afterwards. It is a true source of stable energy for my body.
This Cacao Dandy Blend elixir is made with:
- cacao powder – rich in antioxidants, iron and magnesium
- Dandy Blend – a caffeine free coffee alternative made from beet root, chicory root and barley extract. This is a gluten free product. The bitter components of the drink help to stimulate salivary glands that can help with digestion, bile production and liver function
- cacao butter – the pure fat from cacao pods, healthy source of fat which can help to stabilize blood sugar
- cashews – healthy source of fat which can help to stabilize blood sugar
- medicinal mushroom powder – I use Harmonic Arts 5 Mushroom Blend containing reishi, cordyceps, turkey tail, chaga & lion’s mane. These mushrooms are known for their powerful impact on the immune system and cognitive function.
- gelatinized maca powder – adaptogenic root that helps to support adrenal glands, sex hormones and energy
- vanilla extract – to balance flavors
I love to drink this in the later mornings as my “breakfast” or as an early afternoon snack. It is filling and heart warming. I hope you can enjoy it as much as I do.
NOTE: If you are blending in nuts or seeds to an elixir it is crucial that you have a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix® or Blendtec® to pulverize the nuts into very tiny particles that are barely detectable to the palate.
Cacao Dandy Blend Elixir
- 1.5 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp Dandy Blend coffee alternative
- 1 tbsp cacao butter
- 1 tbsp cashews
- ½ tsp medicinal mushroom powder
- ¼ tsp gelatinized maca powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
Optional Add Ins:
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1-2 pitted Medjool dates
- 1 tbsp collagen powder
Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend on high.
Serve in your favorite mug!