How to Use Cacao in Ceremony
Honestly, any food, herb or drink can be incorporated into ceremony or ritual. To me it is all about the intention and presence that you have with the food. Cacao is a beautiful food to incorporate into any sort of heart chakra ceremony, womb healing ceremony or love ceremony (honoring self love, calling in a child, birth of a child, bonding of a friendship or spouse, connection with mother nature, etc).
I participated in a cacao ceremony at the Wild Women Wild Roses festival outside of Edmonton, AB last summer that was transformational. As I sat in meditation, taking in the senses of the hot cacao drink that was crafted by a wise Indigenous woman, I had a vision of my late Great Baba holding a baby boy. She passed me the baby and the baby nuzzled into my chest. I physically felt my heart and womb crack wide open. The cacao helped guide me to this message. Little did I know I was one week pregnant at the time, even though after that experience I intuitively knew I was with a child.
When using cacao in ceremony or ritual, it is important to really take in the sensations of the cacao that you are honoring. You can incorporate cacao into a ceremony through an elixir, hot chocolate beverage (recipe inside Liv’s Dairy Free Kitchen e-book) or Dark Chocolate Truffle (recipe inside Liv’s Dairy Free Kitchen e-book). Which ever you choose start by:
- Giving thanks to the farmers, growers, and makers of the product you are enjoying
- Bring the cacao to the heart first, tapping into your heart beat and feeling into the heart space
- Guiding the cacao up to your nose, taking in the deep earthy, bold aroma
- Gently running the cacao over your lips, feeling the luscious texture
- Moving the cacao into your mouth where you can savor every morsel of this decadent, sensual, medicinal, nutrient dense and sacred food
- Feeling into your body’s sensations after consuming. The warmth, grounding, possibly energy or head rush, heart and womb opening that the energetics and chemical compounds of cacao bring to your body. Honoring cacao in this way can help to bring stillness and presence to the moment, helping you to tap into your body even more.