This recipe takes the nourishing elements of bone broth and combines them with the flavorful and medicinal properties of coconut, raw honey, medicinal mushrooms, cinnamon, ginger and turmeric. All of these properties provide digestive, gut, immune system, cognitive and joint support. This recipe was initially inspired by Sexy Food Therapy.
- Coconut – anti-microbial, anti-fungal
- Raw honey – anti-microbial
- Medicinal mushrooms – these mushrooms are rich in beta-glucans and antioxidants, known for their powerful impact on the immune system and cognitive function.
- Cinnamon – warming, blood sugar balance, anti-microbial1
- Ginger – warming, anti-inflammatory, digestive aid1
- Turmeric – anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory curcuminoids, anti-microbial, curcuminoids in turmeric is better absorbed when consumed with black pepper, ginger and/or a source of fat1.
Golden Bone Broth Elixir
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or full fat canned coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp medicinal mushroom powder (I use a blend of chaga, cordyceps, reishi, shiitake and loin's main)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder (or 1/2 inch knob of fresh ginger grated)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (or 1/2 inch knob of fresh turmeric grated)
- fresh lemon juice to taste
- salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high.
Transfer mixture to a medium pot and warm on the stove over medium heat while whisking.
Once warm, pour into your favorite mug and enjoy.
- Yardley, K. (2016). The good living guide to natural and herbal remedies. Good Books.